Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Keep your composure



Like a bird that wanders from its nest is a man who wanders from his place.  Proverbs 27:8


I love the story in the Bible about the prodigal son. Maybe because in many ways I can relate to both the main characters, the father and the son. I have been prodigal and I've also been that parent waiting for a prodigal.  To sit in a place of rest when someone you love is not just walking, but running away from God can be anguishing.  Because if you're chasing God it will feel like they're running away from you.  But it's not so, it's the God in you that they can't be around.  And actually the Bible says we're to rejoice if we are persecution for His sake. I know, wow easier said than done! Prodigals can be hard on you when they are in their pigpen.  I know because like I said, I was prodigal at a time in my life, and I know I broke hearts. 
(Thank you Jesus you have mended them.) 
But you know what I love most about the prodigal story is the father's stance.  He never got into the pigpen with his son but he watched and he waited with great expectation that his son would return. And we know that by this verse .... "and when he was still a great way off his Father saw him and had compassion. and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him." Now if that isn't a picture of redemptive love I don't know what is!  Don't give up on your prodigal, be it a child, a spouse, a friend. Pray, keep your composure, know God is working behind the scenes. 
I'm living proof! 


#aprodigalnomore

No comments:

Post a Comment